City of Winter Haven Kicks Off Weeklong MLK Celebration
by James Coulter
To honor the man who once had a dream that racism in America would be over, the City of Winter Haven kicked off a weeklong celebration commemorating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with an official proclamation.
At the city’s regular commission meeting on Monday evening, Winter Haven City Commissioners presented an official proclamation recognizing Jan. 15, 2024, as Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Mayor Bradley T. Dantzler read the proclamation, which reads:
“Whereas, the City of Winter Haven recognizes the profound impact of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the civil rights movement and the ongoing struggle for equality; and…whereas, the City of Winter Haven is committed to fostering an environment where diversity is celebrated, and the principles of respect and integrity are upheld; whereas, on this ‘Martin Luther King Jr. Day’, let us recommit ourselves to the ideals of compassion, understanding, and unity that Dr. King championed.”
This presentation was the start of a weeklong celebration hosted by the city commemorating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King and his strive for racial equality and justice.
The City of Winter Haven will be hosting other activities this week, including:
• “Storytime with Martin” at the Winter Haven Recreation and Cultural Center on Tue. Jan. 6 at 4 PM.
• “Importance of Service” at Winter Haven Recreation and Cultural Center on Wed. Jan. 10 at 4 PM.
• A wreath-laying ceremony at MLK Park on Thurs. Jan. 11 at 10 AM.
• “Movies with Martin” featuring “Harriet” at the Ritz Theater on Thurs. Jan. 11 at 6 PM.
• A Unity Luncheon at Nora Mayo Hall featuring keynote speaker Deanne King on Fri. Jan. 12 at 11 AM.
• The MLK Commemorative Parade along MLK Boulevard starting at 10 AM on Sat. Jan. 13.
For more information about these and other events, visit: https://whmlkparadecommission.org.