Winter Haven Opens Applications for CityU Class 2
Last year, 20 citizens made up the inaugural class of CityU as they attended six sessions with City staff to learn all about City government operations. The program is back this year for class two!
Winter Haven City University offers a behind-the-scenes look at how our departments provide exceptional customer service throughout our community. Participants will get to peek behind the curtain to learn how decisions are made and how our City operates on a day-to-day basis. Complete with presentations, interactive activities and immersive tours, this six-session class will equip graduates to be ambassadors in the community, advocates in City Hall, and supporters with our legislative delegation.
The class will be made up of 20 citizens, five from each quadrant of the City (NE, SE, SW, NW). Preference will be given to residents, business owners, or non-profit leaders within City Limits, and those within the City Utility Service Area are also eligible to apply. The program is designed for adults (18 years and older).
CityU is made up of six sessions, each focused on a different area of City government:
· Session 1: How’d we get here? A look at the history of Winter Haven and how decisions are made.
· Session 2: Growth and all that comes with it. An overview of growth happening in the City and the impact that growth has on citizens, services, and more.
· Session 3: Living your best life. A look at public safety, parks, recreation, and culture.
· Session 4: What’s it like on the inside? A view into what it’s like working for the City of Winter Haven and the wide array of jobs across teams.
· Session 5: Big dreams for our future. A chance to hear the visionary and aspirational goals the City’s leadership team has for Winter Haven.
· Session 6: Keeping the curtain pulled back. A focus on finances, transparency, and how to stay involved.
To participate, citizens must submit an application online between July 1 and July 15, 2023. Classes begin August 15 and are every-other week, with graduation on November 13.