City of Winter Haven
What is City University?
Winter Haven City University offers a behind-the-scenes look at how our departments provide exceptional customer service throughout our community. Participants will get to peek behind the curtain to learn how decisions are made and how our City operates on a day-to-day basis. Complete with presentations, interactive activities and immersive tours, this six-session class will equip graduates to be ambassadors in the community, advocates in City Hall, and supporters with our legislative delegation.
Applications Open: June 1 – 15, 2022
The application will be linked here starting June 1, 2022
Who will be in the class?
- Total of 20 participants.
- First 5 applicants from each quadrant of the City (NE, SE, SW, NW).
- Preference given to residents, business owners or non-profit leaders within the City Limits.
- Those within the City Utility Service Area are also eligible to apply.
- This program is designed for adults (18 years and older).
What will I learn?
- Session 1: How’d we get here? A look at the history of Winter Haven and how decisions are made.
- Session 2: Growth and all that comes with it. An overview of growth happening in the City and the impact that growth has on citizens, services, and more.
- Session 3: Living your best life. A look at public safety, parks, recreation, and culture.
- Session 4: What’s in like on the inside? A view into what it’s like working for the City of Winter Haven and the wide array of jobs across teams.
- Session 5: Big dreams for our future. A chance to hear the visionary and aspirational goals the City’s leadership team has for Winter Haven.
- Session 6: Keeping the curtain pulled back. A focus on finances, transparency, and how to stay involved.
What’s the timeline?
- Applications Open: June 1, 2022
- Application Due: June 15, 2022
- Classes: August 30 – November 8, 2022
- Graduation: November 14, 2022
2023 class dates will be announced this fall! If you apply, and seats are already full, we will hold your application for the 2023 session!